THE Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) have identified the second body of a hostage recovered from Gaza as 28-year-old Idan Shtivi.
His remains were one of the two retrieved by the Israeli military this week as they continue their push into Gaza City.
APIsraeli hostage Idan Shtivi, whose body was recovered in an Israeli military operation in the Gaza Strip[/caption]
GettyIsraeli airstrikes seen over Gaza City[/caption]
The body of Israeli hostage Ilan Weiss was also recoveredAP
Shtivi was killed at the Nova music festival during the atrocities of October 7, 2023, according to the IDF.
He had tried to escape the horror with two friends, but lost control of the car, which crashed into a tree.
The vehicle was later found covered with bullet holes.
Shtivi’s body was taken by Hamas and held in Gaza for 693 days.
His family had held onto hope that he might still be alive for a year, but were informed of his death on the eve of the attack’s first anniversary.
A military statement reads: “Idan Shtivi was abducted from the Tel Gama area and brutally murdered by Hamas terrorists after acting to rescue and evacuate others from the Nova music festival on October 7, 2023.
“He was 28 years old at the time of his death.”
Israel believes that 48 hostages now remain in the Gaza Strip, of whom only 20 are thought to still be alive.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Friday: “The campaign to return the hostages continues continuously.
“We will not rest or be silent until we return all of our hostages home — both the living and the dead.”
The other body recovered has already been identified as Ilan Weiss, 56.
He was killed defending his community of Kibbutz Be’eri during the October 7 attacks.
The Israeli military says the two bodies were recovered during a “complex rescue operation” in Gaza.
Some 1,200 people were killed and around 251 hostages were taken during October 7.
According to Gaza’s health ministry, more than 63,000 Palestinians have been killed in Israel’s subsequent attacks on the Strip.
It comes as Israeli forces begin the “initial stages” of their assault on Gaza City.
An IDF spokesperson said Friday: “We will deepen our strikes and will not hesitate until we return all the abductees and Hamas is dismantled militarily and governmentally.”
But growing international pressure is mounting on Israel over the humanitarian disaster unfolding in Gaza.
The UN has warned that around one million people now could face renewed displacement.
A famine has also officially been declared in Gaza City for the first time.
UN Secretary General António Guterres has pleaded for an immediate ceasefire “to avoid death and destruction”.
The scale of suffering in Gaza has pushed previously reluctant nations towards recognising a Palestinian state – including France, the UK, Canada and Australia.
Israel claims its Gaza City assault plans remain the only way to defeat Hamas.
GettyIsraeli forces begin the ‘initial stages’ of their assault on Gaza City[/caption]
APUN Secretary General António Guterres has pleaded for an immediate ceasefire[/caption]
GettyThe UN has warned that around one million people now could face renewed displacement[/caption]