Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office on Thursday morning.
“We have today arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk,” read a statement from Thames Valley Police. “The man remains in police custody at this time.”
[time-brightcove not-tgx=”true”]
In accordance with U.K. guidance, the police force stated they will “not be naming the arrested man.”
Thames Valley Police referred TIME to the statement when asked to confirm if Andrew, 66, had been arrested.
“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,” said assistant chief constable Oliver Wright, who noted the public interest in the case. “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.”
Norfolk Police confirmed to TIME it is supporting the Thames Valley Police investigation.
TIME has reached out to Buckingham Palace and Andrew’s representatives for comment.
News of the arrest came after unmarked police vehicles and plain-clothed officers were seen arriving at Andrew’s current home, Wood Farm, on the royal Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, U.K., early Thursday morning. The searches coincide with Andrew’s 66th birthday.
The specifics of the allegations that led to Andrew’s arrest have not yet been disclosed.
Thames Valley Police previously confirmed to TIME on Feb. 9 that they were “assessing the information” regarding allegations that Andrew—while serving as the U.K. trade envoy—shared confidential government reports with late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, detailing trips to Singapore, China, Hong Kong, and Vietnam in 2010 and 2011.
The allegations stemmed from newly-unveiled correspondence between Andrew and Epstein, released as part of the U.S. Department of Justice’s final drop of Epstein files on Jan. 30.
An email originally sent to someone titled “The Duke,” which was then forwarded to Epstein, reads: “Please find attached the visit reports for Vietnam, Singapore, Hong Kong and Shenzhen in relation to your recent visit to South East Asia.”
Prior to being stripped of his royal titles last year, Andrew was known as the Duke of York.
The documents released by the DOJ also included a photograph of Andrew leaning over a woman on the floor. The woman’s face had been redacted and it’s unclear when or where the photographs were taken.
The photograph was displayed on a screen in the background while U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi testified before the House Judiciary Committee over the DOJ’s handling of the Epstein files on Feb. 11.
Read More: From Downing Street to the Royal Family, How the Epstein Files Broke Britain
Police were also reviewing a fresh allegation that Epstein sent a woman to Andrew at the Royal Lodge residence in Windsor in 2010.
“We are aware of reports about a woman said to have been taken to an address in Windsor in 2010 for sexual purposes,” a Thames Valley Police spokesperson told TIME on Feb. 4. “We are assessing the information in line with our established procedures.”
These new allegations related to Andrew sparked renewed questions over his relationship with Epstein and his own conduct.
Andrew has consistently and staunchly denied any wrongdoing.
Buckingham Palace previously said King Charles III will, if approached, support police as they assess claims related to his brother and his ties to Epstein.
“The King has made clear, in words and through unprecedented actions, his profound concern at allegations which continue to come to light in respect of Mr. Mountbatten-Windsor’s conduct,” a Feb. 9 statement read. “While the specific claims in question are for Mr. Mountbatten-Windsor to address, if we are approached by Thames Valley Police, we stand ready to support them as you would expect.”
Read More: Buckingham Palace ‘Ready to Support’ Police If Contacted Over Andrew Allegations Amid Epstein Row
Speaking before news of Andrew’s arrest, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer said “nobody is above the law” when asked if the royal should testify before U.S. Congress.
“Anybody who has any information should testify, whether it’s Andrew or anyone else,” he told the BBC, echoing remarks made by Hillary Clinton during an interview broadcast earlier in the week.
This is a developing story and will be updated.
