Wed. Jul 17th, 2024

OIL giant BP has paused all of its shipments through the Red Sea due to ongoing attacks from Yemen’s Houthi rebels.

It said the decision was caused by a “deteriorating security situation” in the Middle East as fears grow the move will send prices soaring.

ReutersA Houthi military helicopter flies over the Galaxy Leader cargo ship in the Red Sea in November[/caption]

GettyBP has suspended its oil shipping operations in the Red Sea[/caption]

A number of other freight companies have been suspending their operations after being targeted by the Iran-backed terror group who have been turning area into an active warzone.

Today, one of the world’s largest shipping firms, Evergreen Line, said it would suspend its journeys through the Red Sea “until further notice”, the BBC reports.

It follows a spate of attacks on ships in the Bab al-Mandab Strait – also known as the Gate of Tears – a vital and perilous to navigate waterway threatened by the Houthi rebels.

The militia group have unleashed chaos in the Red Sea by blasting ships with drones and rockets and and stalking the waters on speedboats ready to hijack.

The Red Sea is an essential waterway for global trade, used to transport oil, fuel and consumer goods largely between Europe and Asia.

Instead of using the Bab al-Mandab Strait, ships will be forced to travel the much longer route around southern Africa.

Today, the price of oil rose due to concerns over oil supply distributions.

The Houthis, which control most of Yemen, have pledged to continue their attacks until Israel stops its devastating bombardment and invasion of the Gaza Strip.

However on Sunday, the militia group said they would consider a de-escalation if Israel took real steps to ease the humanitarian crisis in the Strip.

The US has said it is seeking a coalition to protect ships in the Red Sea and to send a signal to the Houthi who have also been firing drones and missiles.

BP said: “The safety and security of our people and those working on our behalf is BP’s priority.

“In light of the deteriorating security situation for shipping in the Red Sea, BP has decided to temporarily pause all transits through the Red Sea.

“We will keep this precautionary pause under ongoing review, subject to circumstances as they evolve in the region.”

Over the weekend, a Royal Navy warship shot down an attack drone launched by the Houthis in the Red Sea.

HMS Diamond fired a Sea Viper missile to blast the kamikaze drone out of the sky – marking the first time the Royal Navy has fired air defence weapons in anger for more than 30 years.

The drone was attacking a merchant vessel in one of the world’s busiest shipping lanes.

In November, HMS Diamond, was sent to steam through the Suez Canal in a show of force to Hamas-backers Iran.

It came days after a USS Carney, a US Navy guided missile destroyer, shot down multiple drones fired by the Iran-backed terror proxy.

It was at least the third time US warships have fired on Houthi missiles and drones since Hamas launched their October 7 massacre.

Last week, Israel dispatched one of its most powerful warships to the Red Sea.

The Israeli Navy’s Sa’ar 6-class corvette has been declared operational and has joined the UK, French and US vessels already deployed.

The UK, US and Israel have taken moves to try to retain control over the waters of the Red Sea

The Type 45 British destroyer shot down an attack drone in the Red Sea

By

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.